Dr. Shafiei & Dr. Sabernia
Complete Family & Sedation Dentistry
Here in Collingwood, Dr. Michael Shafiei offers dental implants. If one or more of your teeth are missing, there are a number of ways to replace them. Dental Implants are a better alternative to bridges, partials or complete dentures as they act more like your natural tooth. Implants are used to replace missing roots and support artificial replacement teeth. They are comfortable and even look like natural teeth. Dr. Shafiei highly recommends dental implants compared to alternatives.
A dental implant is an artificial root made of titanium metal. Dr. Shafiei inserts the dental implant into the jawbone to replace the root of the natural tooth. An artificial replacement tooth is attached to the implant. The implant acts as an anchor to hold the replacement tooth in place.
If you are in good general health, have healthy gums and have enough bone in the jaw to hold an implant, dental implants might be right for you. If your jawbone has shrunk or if it has not developed normally, you may be able to have a bone graft to build up the bone. A bone graft is a way of adding new bone to your jawbone. Here in Collingwood, Dr. Shafiei will be able to tell you if bone grafting can be done in your personal situation.
• Dr. Shafiei will carefully examine your mouth and take x-rays of your head, jaw and teeth to find out if dental implants are right for you.
• During the first stage, Dr. Shafiei will put a dental implant into your jawbone beneath the gum tissue. The gum tissue is then put back into place. As the tissue heals, the implant will bond with your bone and attach to the gum. This can take several months.
• During the second stage, and once the tissue is healed, Dr. Shafiei will attach an abutment to the implant. An abutment is a post that connects the replacement tooth to the implant. In some cases, the first and second stages may be done in one single stage.
• An artificial replacement tooth is made and Dr. Shafiei attaches it to the abutment. It may take a couple of appointments to properly fit the replacement tooth to the abutment.
• When replacing several teeth or all of your teeth, a fixed bridge is anchored to your dental implants. A bridge is a dental restoration that replaces one or more missing teeth by spanning an area that has no teeth. The bridge is held firmly in place by dental implants on each side of the missing tooth or teeth.
Because dental implants are placed in the jawbone, artificial replacement teeth attached to implants look and act much like natural teeth. Like natural teeth, implants need to be kept clean using a toothbrush and floss. Dr. Shafiei will show you the proper cleaning procedure for implants. Regular dental checkups are important so Dr. Shafiei can make sure that your bite is right and that your implants are not loose.
• Several visits to Dr. Shafiei may be needed until the process is done.
• Checkups will be scheduled during the following year so Dr. Shafiei can be sure your implants are working properly.
• You will need to take very good care of your implants.
• Implants can cost more than other kinds of replacement teeth and might not be covered by your dental plan. But in most cases this is a one-time cost, unlike other kinds of tooth replacement procedures.
• Although rare, possible complications due to dental implants include bleeding, infection, numbness or injury to nearby muscles or the sinus cavity. In some cases, the implant may not be successful because it didn’t bond to the bone.
If you have any other questions about Dental Implants, please feel free to speak with Dr. Shafiei or one of our Collingwood, Hume Street Dental Care team members today.